Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Offbeat Grub: Prickly Pear

I get so excited when we try new foods! Our most recent new food we picked up a Prickly Pear Cactus Fruit This fruit was going for $3.99 per pound, which meant we spent under $2.00 on one piece of fruit (I forget the actual price).
The prickly pear when cut into has a great magenta color and minimal fragrance. As with most fruits we try we wanted to taste it in its purest form and decided to have it with our lunch. I did some research online as to how to prepare the fruit for consumption. I peeled it and carved it up and put some slices on a plate.
Presentation wise the fruit is very visually pleasing. The taste was very subtle. The one draw back to eating a prickly pear is the amount of seeds. There is a TON of seeds in every bite. The amount of seeds for us took away from the enjoyment of the mellow flavor.
It is nice to report that we both agreed that we would love to try cooking with prickly pear and making some sort of reduction out of it. The flavor condensed with maybe a little honey would very tasty over some pan fried chicken or pork.

Anyone got any great Prickly pear recipes they wanna share?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I never bought a prickly pear before because like you I didn't know what to do with it. I'm not big on seeds in anything so the idea of cooking it and straining seems like a good one. Let me know how it works it. Thanks for sharing.