Friday, March 6, 2009

Lunar New Year

During the moving process we tired our hardest to keep making yummy meals. At times we had to resort to the evils of fast food. While this wasn’t the healthiest of choices it did save our hides more than once.

Even though our time was being consumed with packing and moving we did make time to celebrate a new holiday. I was so excited in February to celebrate our first Lunar New Year. This was the first year that Mario and I had actually paid attention and took the time to learn about the food traditions and cultures surrounded around this very special holiday.

(A photo from our parade)
I was super stoked to be celebrating it both in my home life and my work life. I work at a special education school that focuses on complex emotional and developmental disabilities. The Lunar New Year allowed me to organize a celebration and parade around this cultural holiday. The students and staff both seemed to love it. After the parade we had a snack table that was complete with oranges, tea, and cookies.
That night before our big celebration at work Mario and I had our own feast. As I was preparing cookies for the students I was also preparing a low fat lunar feast. I felt as if I had on a very small scale transformed into a person who was excited and filled with the culture of the New Year. My thoughts of year of good prosperity, good fortune, and good healthy in my little family filled the kitchen. It was important to us that everything we ate during this feast had meaning and understanding
Our meal consisted of dumplings for wealth , egg drop soup for fertility, and long life noodles for well a long life in the new year. So it may be late but from we wish everyone a great and healthy New Year!

1 comment:

Lo said...

What a great feast! And what a good time to remember everything that's truly important! Glad I stopped over... plus, I'm lusting after those dumplings!