Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A labor of love...Part 1

Since our wedding invitations are out I figured it was time to talk about them. Mario was a great support of making sure that I had the invitations that made me happy. The only problem was that with a theme like stars there was nothing that made me happy. After hours and hours of looking at disappointing invitations, I decided I wanted to have a try at making some invitations.

Granted, I'm not the most crafty person in the world. I just knew that if i didn't at least try to make an invitation then I'd be settling. Bub and I had agreed that the invitation was the first glimpse of what our wedding would be like. We really wanted it to reek of love and intimacy.

I gave it a try a couple times on my own. I got some inspiration from a few websites and just went with it. The two prototypes seen did not do it for me or Bub. They were missing something. For some reason the invitations still were not looking the way we wanted.

Finally, one day I was talking with a then co-worker (now friend) about embossing. She gave me some tips on wet embossing and then told me about dry embossing. (Oddly enough the link uses the materials I used).

I took her advise and thought about it some more. Then she brought me a light box and a few stencils to see if it was something I enjoyed. From that moment I was hooked. I was able to make the most beautiful stars. This started me on a very long journey that took me several months.

My bright idea was that I would work on them for a long time so it wouldn't seem as long. I really wish I would have logged the hours I spent doing invitations. I just know that I started them while still in school and graduated and they still were not done lol.

Overall, it was a pretty lengthy process. All of the paper had to be cut and the corners cropped before they could be embossed. In the end it took about 7-10 minutes for each invitation to be embossed. And a product that Mario and I are both very proud of.

No comments: