Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Secret of The Spinach Dip Queen

Here's hoping that everyone had a sane and joyful holiday! We sure did. This year's Christmas for us seemed to fly by. We were lucky enough to spend the holiday with both sides of our family on Christmas Eve.

It's funny because the holidays bring out a lot of love and warm feelings, but it also means a lot of food and traditions. This year I decided that it was time that I give out my beloved spinach dip recipe. In my family whenever there is a holiday or event I am always asked to bring a spinach dip, thus dubbing me "The Spinach Dip Queen". But I have a small confession to make, my recipe comes off the back of a Knorr Vegetable soup mix *gasp* I know, my secret is now out, I sure hope I don't lose my title.

I believe that it is not always the recipe that makes it the best of something but more about the love and thought put into it. Therefore, I have no shame in sharing my spinach dip secret.So without further adieu The Spinach Dip Queen's version of Knorr Spinach Dip:
Ingredients:
  • 1 (16 ounce) container low fat sour cream
  • 1 cup low fat Best Foods Mayo
  • 1 (8 ounce) package vegetable soup mix
  • 1 (10 ounce) package chopped baby spinach, thawed and squeezed dry. Then I re-cut the spinach again to insure that it is cut nice and small.
  • 1 (8 ounce) can of water chestnuts, drained and cut very small, almost minced (I tend to use more like 6-7 ounces. I rarely use the entire can of chestnuts)
  • 4 green onions, chopped

    Instructions:
    Mix all of the ingredients together in a medium bowl. Chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours allowing the veggie soup to rehydrate.

    Then serve in your preferred method. I don't usually make a bread bowl. I like to take the bowl the dip is in and put it on a plate and then surround it by cut sourdough bread.
  • No comments: